Bernie Sanders Hits on Winning Message He Avoided in 2016

A video has shown up on Senator Bernie Sanders’ Facebook page, with his name on it and his face in it making all the familiar (to a small number of people) points about U.S. military spending (how much it is, how it compares to the rest of the world, how it does not produce jobs, what wonders could be achieved with a small fraction of it, etc.).

I wish there were mention of the fact that it kills huge numbers of people, or that it risks apocalypse, or that it damages the earth’s environment. I wish the alternatives proposed were not all of the bring-our-war-dollars-home variety, as if the amount of money under consideration were not enough to radically transform this and every other country.

Still, had Sanders put out this video in 2015, tens of thousands of people wouldn’t have had to petition him in vain to oppose militarism, to fill the glaring gap in his website. I wouldn’t have had to write this or this or even this.

Sanders willingly subjected himself to endless accusations of raising taxes, rather than declare that he would push for a small cut in military spending. Jeremy Corbyn has had greater success — albeit in a different country — by taking the other approach. I continue to think Sanders is snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

It’s not as if Sanders doesn’t know the issues. A half-century back he would have said something very close to what I want to hear. There’s no reason why he can’t do so now. But I’m afraid that this video may have slipped through because there’s not a presidential election this year, and that such things will be nowhere to be found in the years ahead.

I hope I’m wrong. I hope that Sanders actually declares himself in favor of a serious transfer of resources from militarism to human and environmental needs. As soon as he does, I’ll start advocating for all of us to work for his election. He can keep promoting the Russiagate nonsense that was primarily invented to distract from the story of the DNC cheating him. He can publicly commit to allowing the DNC to cheat him again. He can ask Saudi Arabia again to kill even more people. But if he comes out against the military budget, that’s the big one. He will deserve the support he could have had last time.

This entry was posted in General. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Bernie Sanders Hits on Winning Message He Avoided in 2016

1. Red Robbo says:

No BS, neither Corbyn nor Sanders can help the 99%. We would be wise to heed what Debs said over a century ago. ‘I am not a Labor Leader; I do not want you to follow me or anyone else; if you are looking for a Moses to lead you out of this capitalist wilderness, you will stay right where you are. I would not lead you into the promised land if or I could, because if I led you in, someone else would lead you out. You must use your heads as well as your hands, and get yourself out of your present condition; as it is now the capitalists use your heads and your hands’ (Speech in Detroit, 1906).

• Jill says:

RR,

Thank you for that interesting quote by Debs. Our people seem always to be seeking a savior. Be it on the right or the right of the one party system, we want this at our peril.

I will never support Sanders. It’s not only that he was willing to be cheated, he was willing to let his voters be cheated out of their votes. Further, he told people to swallow their conscience, turn off their minds and support Clinton. This is a betrayal of his benighted supporters which many did. They didn’t use their heads. They did what their savior told them to do. That’s not being a citizen. Once a politician has betrayed people by saying their vote didn’t matter, by telling them to stuff down their conscience, they deserve nothing but scorn.

David, I cannot fathom your support of such a person. He is a warmonger. One speech on FB doesn’t erase his voting record nor will you find a peacemaker in a man who supports Jerusalem as the capital of Israel. How do you hold such a weird contradiction in your heart and hands? I don’t understand the fascination with Sanders. He is a very bad man with the voting record/set of actions to prove it. If you like the kind of people we’ve been electing, then by all means, pump up his support. But I urge a different path. Never vote for a person who has betrayed others in this way. He isn’t a savior, he isn’t even the best candidate by any means. Look elsewhere, be elsewhere with people who do care about our nation and other human beings/this planet.

2. kimyo says:

i’m not gonna unblock facebook to watch a video, so i can’t verify, but are you sure sanders said that military spending ‘does not produce jobs’? he is on record as saying exactly the opposite.

Bernie Sanders on Lockheed Martin F-35 Jets in Vermont

But my view is that given the reality of the damn plane, I’d rather it come to Vermont than to South Carolina. And that’s what the Vermont National Guard wants, and that means hundreds of jobs in my city. That’s it.”

• Denise says:

Gℴℴgle is giving every one 98 US dollars per hour to do easy tasks on the computer .. Work only for just few hours in a whole day and have greater time with your own relatives … Anyone can avail this official job!!!this weekend I purchased a new volvo after I been getting $9139 this-past/month .it’s certainly my favourite-job but you won’t forgive yourself if you don’t visit this.!rg041h:➵➵➵ http://GoogleGoldStayAtHomeMomJobs/getpaid/$97/hourly ♥♥m♥♥♥f♥a♥♥z♥♥a♥o♥♥n♥♥♥l♥f♥♥m♥♥y♥♥t♥y♥c♥♥p♥♥m♥♥♥u♥♥t♥♥h♥♥♥q♥♥♥n♥♥♥r♥j♥u♥l:::::!kf511y:wkz

3. nomadd says:

Bernie can kick rocks. You can bet that even if he got elected on ‘ points about U.S.
    military spending (how much it is, how it compares to the rest of the
    world, how it does not produce jobs, what wonders could be achieved with
    a small fraction of it, etc.).’ he’d change his tune upon taking office. The 2016 campaign revealed his true character.

4. Joe Blow says:

Regardless on what one thinks of military spending(incl. ‘intelligence’), the US and the rest of the world would be much better off if the US cut it by 95%. All wars are fake in their ‘root causes’ & serve only to enrichen the warmonger/banking class at the financial and personal expense of everyone else. They also create numerous artificial shortages of resources and materials that are only used in a destructive manner, unbeneficial to humanity. Get rid of the warmongers & the rest of the world can finally have true peace.

• nomadd says:

right you are joe. and besides the benefits you mention it would also significantly mediate global warming, which environmentalists profess to be their goal. the hypocrites. if they were really serious about fighting global warming they would be the foremost advocates of reducing the military. where is the environmentalists protest against the pentagon and the recent obscene increases in military spending? the hypocrites! oh. i said that already. oh well. it cant be said enough. effin hypocrites.

“Get rid of the warmongers & the rest of the world can finally have true peace.” and quite possibly a future.

“Here’s the awful truth: even if every person, every automobile, and
      every factory suddenly emitted zero emissions, the earth would still be
      headed, head first and at full speed, toward total disaster for one
      major reason. The military produces enough greenhouse gases, by itself,
      to place the entire globe, with all its inhabitants large and small, in
      the most imminent danger of extinction.” — Barry Sanders, The Green Zone