Edited and amended from a brief I wrote for interested Members of Congress in 2005 (and updated to 2009), War with Afghanistan and Iraq, rhetoric for war with Iran:
The US and Iraq: the history you didn’t know: Saddam Hussein was a vicious dictator who should have never ruled a nation. However, according to a dozen former US diplomats, US intelligence officials, and British scholars, Saddam was supported by the US beginning in 1959. The US CIA authorized Saddam to assassinate Iraq’s dictator, Abd al-Karim Qasim, who had recently withdrew from the pro-US Baghdad Pact and initiated friendly relations with the Soviet Union (49). The assassination failed, but another succeeded in 1963. Saddam rose in power, and became dictator in 1979. Saddam had US support to invade Iran in a War of Aggression from 1980 to 1988, including supplying him with biological and chemical weapons (50). When Saddam invaded Kuwait in August of 1990, US cooperation with him was suspended. The UN Security Council voted in favor of military action to remove Iraq from Kuwait.
US Congressional and public opinion to support any UN military force was divided. President George H.W. Bush spoke for US support of the war, emphasizing two areas of evidence:
- Testimony from a 15-year-old girl named Nayirah to Congress in October, 1990. Nayirah claimed to be a refugee and hospital volunteer of the maternity ward of Al Adan hospital in Kuwait City; stating she witnessed Iraqi soldiers steal the incubators and leave 312 infants to die on the cold hospital floor (51).
- US satellite photos showed Iraqi forces massing for attack on the Saudi Arabian border in September, 1990 with 250,000 troops and 1,500 tanks. The President and those who supported war spoke publicly of Iraqi cruelty and the need to protect the innocent people of Saudi Arabia.
Public opinion gradually shifted in favor for war. The Congressional vote passed by 52-47 in the Senate and 250-183 in the House on January 12, 1991 (52).
We now know both claims were known to be lies as they were told:
- Nayirah lied about her identity; she was the daughter of Kuwait Ambassador to the United States and member of the Kuwait royal family, Saud bin Nasir Al-Sabah. Nayirah had no connection to the hospital and was coached on how to give her testimony by the US public relations firm Hill and Knowlton (53). The only explanation I can imagine that the Bush Senior administration was not lying about this evidence for war is if it never occurred to anyone in leadership to verify the accuracy of this girl’s testimony. If true, using unverified claims to incite war is criminally negligent. And remember, George H.W. Bush was the Director of the CIA, an agency responsible for working with accurate and contrived information.
- Claimed satellite photos never existed, and refuted by real ones: When a reporter purchased commercially available satellite photos of the region at the time claimed to show massive Iraqi troop build-up and submitted them to experts for analysis, US troop presence was visible on the Saudi side of the border but there was no evidence of Iraqi troops. The Kuwaiti Air Base seemed deserted in the photos. When the reporter queried Secretary of Defense Dick Cheney (later Vice President to Papa Bush’s son, George) about the satellite photos, she was told, “Trust us.” The alleged US satellite photos have never been released for reasons of “national security” (54).
8-minute video regarding the satellite photos, and Dick Cheney’s financial conflict of interest from being Halliburton’s former CEO; awarded ~$40 billion in war business in illegal no-bid contracts (here, here).
The best documentation for the history with Nayirah I searched for now is here.
The Big Picture beyond Nayirah: although fascinating to examine evidence of .01% false flag crimes with apparent video evidence of duping delight from crisis actors, We the People already have abundant and irrefutable evidence to demand arrests for Emperor’s New Clothes obvious crimes of:
- Unlawful and lie-began wars.
- So-called “money” that is actually debt to create accelerating and unpayable total debt.
- Destruction of nearly all rights lawfully guaranteed in the US Bill of Rights within the US Constitution, and in Orwellian inversion of limited government.
- Crimes Against Humanity for ongoing intentional policy that has poverty-murdered over 400 million human beings just since 1995; more than killed from all wars in Earth’s recorded history.
The massive crimes end whenever we say we’re ready.
And hey, just from me to you: What kind of American do you call yourself if you’re not demanding arrests to lawfully stop obvious crimes that annually kill millions, harm billions, and loot trillions?
Are you an American defending limited government under our Constitution, or subject of dictators to continue these crimes with your submission?
Just who do you say you are demonstrated in thoughts, words, and actions???
49. Information Clearing House. Sale, R. Exclusive: Sadda Was Key in Early CIA Plot. April 11, 2003: http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article2849.htm
50. Project Censored. Nouveaux, D. & Steiner, J. 5: U.S. Weapons mass Destruction Linked to the Deaths of a Half- Million Children. Top 25 Censored Stories for 1999: http://www.projectcensored.org/5-u-s-weapons-mass-destruction-linked-to-the-deaths-of-a-half-million-children/
51. Video of her testimony: Barry Zweiker: Gulf War lies – conspiracy to gain support. Feb. 24, 2006: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVE8rV3-Zos
52. BBC on this day. 1991: US Congress votes for war in Iraq. http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/january/12/newsid_4534000/4534588.stm
53. The Christian Science Monitor. Peterson, S. In war, some facts less factual. Sept. 6, 2002: http://www.csmonitor.com/2002/0906/p01s02-wosc.html
54. Project Censored. #6 1991 top 25 censored stories. No evidence of Iraqi threat to Saudi Arabia: http://www.projectcensored.org/6-no-evidence-of-iraqi-threat-to-saudi-arabia/ , and Iraqwar.org. Utley, J.B. Questions about the supposed Iraqi threat to Saudi Arabia in 1990 – aerial photos were never released! http://www.iraqwar.org/bush.htm
Note: I make all factual assertions as a National Board Certified Teacher of US Government, Economics, and History, with all economics factual claims receiving zero refutation since I began writing in 2008 among Advanced Placement Macroeconomics teachers on our discussion board, public audiences of these articles, and international conferences. I invite readers to empower their civic voices with the strongest comprehensive facts most important to building a brighter future. I challenge professionals, academics, and citizens to add their voices for the benefit of all Earth’s inhabitants.
Carl Herman is a National Board Certified Teacher of US Government, Economics, and History; also credentialed in Mathematics. He worked with both US political parties over 18 years and two UN Summits with the citizen’s lobby, RESULTS, for US domestic and foreign policy to end poverty. He can be reached at Carl_Herman@post.harvard.edu
Note: Examiner.com has blocked public access to my articles on their site (and from other whistleblowers), so some links in my previous work are blocked. If you’d like to search for those articles other sites may have republished, use words from the article title within the blocked link. Or, go to http://archive.org/web/, paste the expired link into the box, click “Browse history,” then click onto the screenshots of that page for each time it was screen-shot and uploaded to webarchive. I’ll update as “hobby time” allows; including my earliest work from 2009 to 2011 (blocked author pages: here, here).