There are several reasons as to why Disqus comments not appearing. For instance, if you have made some changes related to the plugin of the cache.
On such occasions, it is advised that you bring the problem to the notice of the site’s administrator or owner.
In this article, we will talk about why these comments do not appear as well as provide some common and advanced solutions to fix them.
Why Are Disqus Comments Not Appearing?
There are various reasons as to why the Disqus comments not appearing. When these comments do not appear, you will likely see the following scenarios:
- The widget does not appear on the site
- You will not see the widget on some posts
- While the widget can be seen on the website, you will not see any comments
- While the widget will be seen on all posts, some of them will not have the required comments
As mentioned above, if you notice any one of these problems, the only choice here is to bring the problem to the attention of the website administrator.
What Are Some Methods You Can Use To Solve This Error?
In this section, we will learn how you can solve the Disqus comments not appearing error. Ensure that you try these options one by one and check whether it has been resolved or not.
Now, let us take a look at how to solve this problem:
Clearing The Cache Of Your Browser
The cache is an important component of your web browsers and helps load the pages quickly. If there is a change in the files of Disqus, it may result in the comments not loading properly.
While the tool can automatically solve this problem, there can be times you will have to do this manually.
As you already know, almost all browsers today offer you the option to clear your cache. The method to do so, however, will depend on the browser you use.
For instance, the methods will vary for Chrome and Firefox. Once the cache and cookies related to Disqus and the related website are cleared, the tool will be forced to download new files.
Open The Site In Incognito Or InPrivate Mode
These are modes that open any website as if you are opening them for the first time. As a result, all the related files will also be loaded for the first time.
Opening a website in Incognito or InPrivate mode is typically used to check if the specific changes have been applied or not. Today, almost all browsers offer the option of opening any website in Incognito or InPrivate modes.
Switch Your Browser
If the above-mentioned methods do not work, you need to ensure that the problem roots from your browser. For instance, if the tool loads on your mobile browser but not on your computer, it is possible that the issue lies in the browser itself.
To do so, you will have to install two-three browsers on your computer. You need to open the website and check whether the problem still exists.
Open The Browser In Safe Mode
It is possible for the extensions to conflict with the Disqus comments. There are several add-ons that can restrict the tool from loading or may also make use of the same element as the comment system. These problems prevent Disqus from showing the comments.
In the Safe Mode, all add-ons, extensions, and plugins get disabled. The browser will start with absolutely nothing. The Safe Mode is available on all browsers like Edge, Firefox, and Chrome.
Things You Should Remember While Checking For The Disqus Comments Not Appearing Error
Now, let us check some things that you need to check while trying to solve this error:
Check If The Comments Are Enabled On The Entire Site
The comments are enabled by default on WordPress. However, it is possible for them to have been disabled.
Let us learn how you can check for the same:
- Go to the Admin Page of your website.
- Tap on the ‘Settings’ option.
- Click on the ‘Discussion’ button.
- Check whether the ‘Allow People To Post Comments’ option is enabled.
Once you have enabled the last option, you need to save the changes by clicking on the ‘Save Changes’ button.
Check Whether The Comments Have Been Enabled For Particular Posts
If you are unable to see the Disqus widget on certain posts, it mostly occurs because the widget has been disabled for these posts only. To confirm this, follow the steps mentioned below:
- On your WordPress, open the Post via the WordPress Live Editor.
- Here, tap on the ‘Screen Options’, which will open a drop-down menu.
- If not already selected, enable the ‘Discussion’ option.
- Next, keep scrolling downwards until you reach the ‘Discussion’ section.
- Here, tap on the ‘Allow Comments’ option to enable commenting.
- Click on the ‘Save’ button to update the post.
Check Whether The Comments Only Appear In Posts With Closed Comments
Site administrators have the option of selecting if or when they want the comment section to close automatically.
In the case of the Disqus plugin, you do have the option of enabling the Disqus comments that will appear on posts that have a closed comment section.
Let us learn how you can check this:
- On the left side of the WordPress admin page, you need to head over to the ‘Comment’ menu.
- Here, you need to tap on the ‘Disqus’ option.
- On the right side of the page, you need to tap on the ‘Plugin Settings’ button.
- Check whether the Disqus comments are enabled for all blog posts, which can be seen under the ‘Appearance’ section.
- Lastly, click on the ‘Save’ button to save all the changes.
Check Whether The Comments Have Been Synchronized With Disqus
All the existing comments saved in WordPress are automatically saved in the Disqus server if the plugin is active. However, there may be some server issues and/or glitches that prevent this process from completing successfully.
In such cases, you can solve the problem simply by following the steps mentioned below:
- Head over to the Disqus Plugin Settings on your WordPress website.
- Here, look for the ‘Import And Export’ option and click on it.
- Next, you need to tap on the ‘Export Comments’.
Once you complete this method, all your comments will be exported to your Disqus plugin.
However, you also need to know that this process will take some time to complete, particularly if your WordPress website is quite large and consists of many comments.
Hence, you can simply let the solution run while you get dome with some other work. Once the process is completed, you will receive an official email from Disqus.
Check Whether You Have Migrated Your Website To Another Domain
The Disqus plugin may also stop working normally if you have migrated your content to a different domain from WordPress or entirely migrated to a new domain.
In most cases, people simply assume that all the comments are transferred from your original website to the new domain when you switch domains. While most platforms do, like WordPress, what do we know about Disqus?
To determine whether the comments have been shifted to the new domain, there are several domain mapping tools that you can use.
Let us learn how you can do so:
- Log into your Disqus account and head to the ‘Migration Tools’.
- On the drop-down button, tap and choose your old domain.
- You will have to verify the domain where you want to migrate and tap on the ‘Next’ button.
- Select the domain where you want to migrate your new website.
- If you are sure, you need to click on the Next button. However, one thing you need to remember here is that there is no undo button, which means that all the changes are now permanent.
Once you have followed all the steps mentioned above, you simply need to wait for roughly a day. Next, all the comments will start to appear on the new domain.
If you make use of an URL mapper, the changes will start reflecting after 24 hours. If your site is smaller, the process will be done much faster.
Is Something Wrong With Disqus?
While at least one of the above-mentioned solutions can help you solve this Disqus comments not appearing error, you should know that this problem can happen occasionally.
If you find yourself facing this error, you can head over to the official FAQ section of Disqus; here, you will find a solution that may very well help you get rid of this issue.
From the above, you now have a better idea of how you can solve this problem. Once done, all the comments will start appearing on all the WordPress posts. Most websites make use of Disqus and this error is very rare.
For whatever reasons the plugin does not work, you can rely on the fixes mentioned above to help you solve this problem and get your audiences to comment on your posts.