If you’re like most people, you probably don’t want to spend hours reading through support documents or watching how-to videos. You just want your Apple Watch to work with your new phone as seamlessly as possible. Here’s how to pair an Apple Watch to a new phone.
Open the Watch app and tap the “My Watch” tab on your old iPhone. Tap your Apple Watch at the top of the screen, then tap the info button next to it. Tap Unpair Apple Watch. If prompted, enter your Apple ID password. Tap Unpair on your Apple Watch when prompted. Once your Apple Watch is unpaired from your old iPhone, you can pair it with your new device.
This article walks through the easiest way to pair an apple watch to a new phone. So, let’s dig deeper.
Why Pair An Apple Watch With a New Phone?
As anyone with an iPhone knows, many devices can be paired with it to create a more seamless and cohesive user experience. One of the most popular and useful pairs is the Apple Watch.
The Apple Watch offers several benefits that can be enjoyed when used in conjunction with an iPhone.
- First, the Apple Watch can receive and respond to notifications, even when the iPhone is not accessible. This can be incredibly useful when someone is busy or working out.
- The Apple Watch also offers fitness tracking features that can complement the health and fitness apps on the iPhone.
- Finally, the Apple Watch can be used to make contactless payments using Apple Pay, adding an extra layer of convenience to everyday life.
It is understandable why someone would want to pair their Apple Watch with their new iPhone for all of these reasons.
Disadvantages of Pairing an Apple Watch to a New Phone
It’s daunting to pair an Apple Watch with a new phone. Let’s look at some downsides.
- It can be time-consuming. Nevertheless, there’s no guarantee of working it properly. This can be especially true if you’re switching from an iPhone to an Android phone or vice versa.
- Loss of old data, such as contacts, calendar events, and app data, can be a point of concern.
- Finally, you may have to repurchase some apps that are not compatible with your new phone.
Despite these drawbacks, many people still find that the benefits of having an Apple Watch outweigh the drawbacks.
What You Should Know About Pairing An Apple Watch to a New Phone
If you’re upgrading to a new iPhone, you can transfer your Apple Watch and its content in just a few steps.
- First, unpair your Apple Watch from your current iPhone. You’ll need to do this even if you’re using the same Apple ID on your new device.
- Once your watch is unpaired, pair it with your new iPhone. This will erase the content from your watch and set it up as new.
- If you want to transfer your iCloud backups, sign into iCloud with your old Apple ID on your new device.
- Ensure that both devices are updated to the latest version of iOS or watchOS before you begin.
- If you’re using a new Apple ID, you’ll need to set up your watch as new. This process will erase all the content from your watch, so be sure to back it up before beginning.
How to Pair Apple Watch to a New Phone?
- Bring your new iPhone near your Apple Watch.
- Open the Apple Watch app on your new iPhone and tap Start Pairing.
If you don’t see this screen, swipe up from the bottom of the screen to access the Control Center, then tap the Airplane Mode icon.
- Follow the instructions on your iPhone and Apple Watch. When you’re asked to enter a passcode on your Apple Watch, double-click the side button, then enter a four-digit code.
After entering the code, wait for a confirmation sound or vibration on your Apple Watch.
- Tap Continue on your iPhone, then wait for Activation Lock to appear.
- Enter your Apple ID password on your iPhone to unlock your Apple Watch.
- Tap Set Up Later on your iPhone when you’re asked if you want to use cellular on your Apple Watch. You can set up cellular later from the Apple Watch app.
- Choose whether to restore apps and settings from your iPhone backup, then tap Restore. If you don’t want to restore, tap Set Up as New Apple Watch.
- Finish setting up your Apple Watch.
- Set up cellular on your Apple Watch.
- You’re all set! You’ve now successfully paired your Apple Watch with your new iPhone.
Make sure to contact Apple customer support if things go south. Also, follow these steps carefully and closely to successfully pair your apple watch to a new phone.